Wednesday, August 24, 2005

HUMMER

by teresa
Have you ever bought a piece of clothing for your kid that you really didn't like, but they were bugging you so much you gave in? Well I did just that with Ben. First off you need to know that Ben loves cars. He really, really loves cars. All cars. He has hundreds of matchbox, every RC car made. Car puzzles, books about cars. Playstation and computer car games. His favorite thing to do is drive to the dealerships around town and get out and go from car to car checking out all the features. Well that being said, we were shopping at Target(the most wonderful store in the universe), and I was looking through the boys section. Ben was very restless. He hates clothes shopping. He couldn't care less what I buy for him to wear. He was just along because we have a deal that if he lets me shop without causing a scene, he gets a new matchbox car(at 79cents this is a bribe I can deal with). Well up on the wall was this UGLY SHIRT!! I mean army green(I don't like that color) with a huge yellow HUMMER on the front of it and the words..LIKE NOTHING ELSE written in black. Ben's eyes lit up! His dream come true. Clothes ....with cars....WOW, he said. Please buy it for me. You don't even have to buy me the matchbox car. All I want is THIS SHIRT!! THIS SHIRT is the best shirt I have ever seen. I will wear THIS SHIRT everyday(yikes). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! Well now you need to know something about me. I hate shirts with pictures on them. That's just my rule. I have never bought my children clothes with pictures on them. No cartoons, comic book characters or big writing on anything. Simple, preppy is more my style. And mostly navy, red and white. So this shirt went against every fiber of my being. It was just plain UGLY. You know, like white trash UGLY. But, you can guess what happened. I bought it. I figured I would let him wear it around the house only. Maybe even lose it in the wash. I usually pick out my kids clothes in the morning and you can bet that it will never be layed out on my watch. But, like this morning, whenever I forget to get their clothes together for them. Or I am gone and Dad is in charge, Ben will come bouncing down the stairs announcing," I dressed myself mommy" and I know before he rounds the corner what he will have on. HUMMER!!

No comments: