Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Long Trip Home

By Chris
You have to know this first. In order to save money, I flew from Newport News to Atlanta and back for a one-day trip (even though Norfolk is really closer).

Everything was going great . . . The trip down actually arrived early, and I was able to make my team's regular conference call check in by cell phone while waiting to pick up a volunteer coming to the same meeting. The day stayed on time, which was unexpected since we were shooting video, which always goes long. I actually made it to the Atlanta airport with more than an hour to spare (usually, I'm scrambling to make my flight). Everything looked great, all indicators pointed to an on time trip. Until, the departure time on the red board started adding a few more minutes every 10 minutes or so. Not a good sign. Then, the sound all Atlanta travelers fear: rain on the roof . . . and then, some thunder. Atlanta is one of the busiest airports in the world (Pastor Trueblood once said "To go to heaven, you have to go through Atlanta"). And even a brief storm that stops traffic for just a few minutes causes planes and crews all over the country to get out of whack. After several more changes in departure time, they finally gave in. CANCELLED showed on the screen. Then, the race for the customer service line. Glancing at the status boards, more and more flights were beginning to flash CANCELLED . . . not good . . . have to hurry . . . line will get very long . . . everyone will need help . . . next plane will fill up . . . uggghhhh!!!! Now . . . a long, long, long line for help. People are starting to get mad. Some are yelling at the air staff (I really don't understand that, but it always happens during weather delays. Granted, there are plenty of times those knuckleheads deserve a few stern words, but I'm fairly certain they have not been granted thunderstorm control yet). Of course, by the time I made it to the front, all seats to Newport News were filled until the next day. Wait, there is a Norfolk flight not full. Could I go there? Sure . . . It was 7:45 (3+ hours since I arrived at the airport) The Norfolk flight leaves at 7:44, he said. But it's a little late (great, a delay that is helping me now). Hurry, he says, and you should make it. I was on Concourse C, . . . Norfolk flight on Concourse T, gate 1. About as far away as possible. In Atlanta, C to T requires two long walks and a multiple-stop train ride. Off the train, I sprinted to the Gate . . . 8, 7 , 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. New depart time: 9:00. Well, guess I didn't have to run.

9:00 - 5+ hours at the airport. Blackberry died long ago . . no more juice. No way to pass time answering emails. Can't call home. Will need a ride . . . my car is in Newport News. I wanted Norfolk in the first place! Good thing I saved all that money! Oh, good. Now, estimated departure is 9:30. Seems the plane is somewhere, diverted around storms. Took a trip down concourse T to look at the PalmOne store to see cool new tech stuff.

9:15 Trying to call Teresa . . . will need a ride . . . don't know when . . . she's not too good at the airport pick-up thing. Bought a calling card, but the family just picks up the phone and hangs up, they think it's a telemarketer. Someone, please talk to me . . . I'm gonna need a ride.

9:30 Got Teresa. She'll watch the computer and come get me when the planes almost landing. We'll worry about my car later. New estimated departure is 10:00. The Time magazine I bought is all read out. So is the Newsweek and Money. Oh yeah, I bought dinner too and dropped my drink on the floor. A real nice lady in the Popeye's fixed me a new one real quick . . . I probably looked like I was on the edge.

10:00 6+ hours at the airport. Departure time now reads 10:45. I'm on my 6th Dramamine of the day, which started at 5 a.m. I keep taking them because I have to make sure they kick in before I take off. . . very motion sick prone, even with all the flying. Have to keep taking it to keep up the effect, in case one of the departure times happens. Maybe mixing it with a Grande at Starbucks will help . . . Starbucks consumed, now I'm feeling antsy.

10:30: New departure time: 11:00. Ohh. the torture. You can't trust those stupid red signs anymore, I think. Their times mean nothing! They have been toying with me since before 4 p.m. with slowly increasing departure times. Bored, I've checked out all the bathrooms on Concourse T now. Funny, they are the only ones in this whole airport (I've seen 'em all), that do not have the automatic flushing toilets. The mirrors reveals that I look like someone who has spent hours wandering the airport. Yikes.

11:00: Yeeehaaa the plane is "in range" . Looks like we're going to make it (of course, the first Newport News plane was reported "in range" once too. We'll see. 11:05 . . . 11:15 departure. But, guess where: Concourse A!!! Hurry again (couldn't they have changed the gate sometime earlier in our 3-hour stay on concourse T? How ironic that this day full of waiting would twice now require me to, ... well . . . , hurry. Back to A (this time a long walk - quick train ride - and another short walk). The plane is there. We're going to make it!

11:40: (Around 8 hours at the airport) we're airborn!!! Hitting the bed around 2 a.m., I'm three hours removed from 24-straight hours since I began this journey at this very bedroom. Gotta get a little sleep . . . Lauren needs to be at school by 8 for cheerleading and I have three conference calls before noon . . . and a car in Newport News.

Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT DAY that was a long trip!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe my daughter said GREAT DAY. Of course, I realize you are mocking me. It's all good.

Dad.