Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Must have books

by teresa
If you have been reading our blog for awhile, then you are aware that I have a passion for books. All books really. But my greatest love is childrens litereature. I literally have hundreds and hundreds of childrens books. If it is on your kids accelerated reader list (K-12), then I probably have it! If it has been on the new york times childrens top 10 list in the past few years, then I definitly have it! Well...I thought I would put together my top 15 must have book list for ages birth-8yrs old. These books are great for the parent and child. some will make you laugh and some will defintly make you moms out there cry! These books are PERFECT gifts for soon to be moms too. It is a treasure to be kept and handed down through the ages. Some of my kids favorite books are the ones from mine and Chris' childhood. Anyway...he is the list.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (all of his books are wonderful)
Hachiko by Pamela Turner (everyone will enjoy this story)
Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kingsbury (need tissues)
Miss Fannie's Hat by Jan Karon (reminds me of my nanny)
Don't Need Friend by Carolyn Crimi (The boys love this)
Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes (helped Nick with his anxiousness at school, we read it over and over)
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes (This is Ben's favorite book, great for reading aloud)
I Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (you need 2 boxes of kleenex for this one ladies)
I Promise I'll Find You by Heather Ward (A great message for your kids!!!)
Little Whistle by Cynthis Rylant ( I love these stories)
Mr. Peabodys Apples by Madonna (yes...Madonna. ALL of her childrens books are MUST HAVES)
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco (timeless classic)
The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg(this books is wonderful)
Walter the Farting Dog by Audrey Colman( there are many in this series...they are hilarious read alouds)
My Monster Mama Loves me So by Laura Leuck(a favorite of mine to read to the kids)


ALL OF US love our children more than anything in the world. In their first years we feed them so they grow. We bring them to the doctor so they are healthy. We strap them in car seats so they are safe.But the most important thing in the first years of life is the growth of the mind and spirit. This is when a child learns to love and trust, to speak and listen.
After a child turns two years old, these things are very difficult to learn or teach ever again. Trusting, singing, laughing, and language are the most important things in a young child’s life.
And so they must come first for mothers and fathers, too. Because we can never have those years over again.
Every day, make a quiet, restful place for twenty minutes. Put your child in your lap and read a book aloud. In the pages of the book you will find a tiny vacation of privacy and intense love. It costs nothing but twenty minutes and a library card.
I will be creating a list of must reads for ages 8yrs to 13yrs soon.

No comments: