Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving Hangover

By Chris
Yuk! That's how I felt Thanksgiving night. It's been since May that we have pretty much banned anything with white flower, sugar and most other "bad" carbs -- grainy carbs only, you know. In fact, most days now my lunch is a salad or Chicken in whole wheat wrap. Then, yesterday, total gluttony. I had gotten used to how good I was feeling, I guess, because I sure felt bad last night. I bet I clogged an artery or something! Did I always feel like this before?, I asked Teresa. After gravy, stuffin', pie, etc. my body was in shock. Bloated. Heartburn. Restless. Couldn't sleep. What is in that stuff! It's poison, I tell you! I still have a little heartburn almost 24 hours later! I had some Gaviscon left over from the bad 'ol days (I used to use a bottle a week), so I've been taking that. Those foaming tablets are nastier than I remembered. But, at least it's cherry-flavored foaming nastiness. That really helps. So, that's it for me. I'll do turkey without gravy and veggies from now on on these special occassions. Which leads to some philosophical questions I was thinking about while a I couldn't sleep:

Why, in order to enjoy our families on special occassions, do we eat like pigs? And, when I say eat like pigs, I mean a lot and fast! We were in such a hurry yesterday, we stopped the serving line to say the blessing, lest one of us starve first. hehe. Then, we ate so fast my plate was gone and cleaned before I could get a good conversation going! Whirlwind, I tell you. After hours of cooking and preparation, the "family time" was boiled down to about 30 mins. around the table. A few of us gathered for dessert at a slightly slower pace, but mostly the crowd dispersed quickly. I'm not sure where we were hurrying to? It's our nature I guess. Hurry up, get started eating. Hurry up, eat this pie so I can wrap it up . . . these are an extension of the way everything else is hurried around us, I guess. Well, gotta go . . . being hurried up to hit the road to Jilians!

No comments: