Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Back to Public Transportation

By Chris

Made it to Charlotte and back to Atlanta. After dropping off the rental car this morning, it's been back to public transportation . . . and avoiding severe traffic. Of course, the public thing has it's unique issues too . . .

I took the free Marriott shuttle in Charlotte (even though I wasn't staying there, I was meeting people there . . . so why not?). You get what you pay for. I was the only one requesting the shuttle at that time . . . so, do you still sit in the back of the van? . . . or get up front with the driver? I sat in back. He looked at me pretty funny when I said I didn't have any luggage. Over halfway from the airport to hotel, he gets a radio call that someone else called for an airport pickup. "You mind if we turn around and get her?" he asks. What could I say? "No problem." Of course, I was already wondering if I could make it without getting sick from his driving. So, back we went.

Used the train to get back to the hotel in Atlanta . . . much more pleasant than yesterday's 2-hour drive. Plus, you get free entertainment listening to people's conversations. Here's a good one from this evening. A girl trying to make small talk with the older lady next to her:

Girl: I like it when there is a good train driver (Realk perky voice)

Lady: What?

Girl: I like it when there is a good train driver; No jerky stops.

Lady: Yeah. You drive these trains?

Girl: Yes (me: huh?? no way).

Lady: When?

Girl: A couple of times a month (me: that can't be right).

Lady: Is it hard?

Girl: Is it hard??? (wrinkled up nose-confused face)

Lady: Driving the train

Girl: I don't drive them; I just like it when I get a good driver.

Lady: Oh.

Girl: So it's not jerky. I've fallen down three time.

Lady: O.k.

What!?!?!?! . And, how do you fall down THREE times. Uhh . . . maybe, after the first time, you might figure out that holding on to one of those convenient polls would be a good idea. Certainly, after the second time. I think I figured out which kind of Atlantans need those Severe Traffic Advisories. Below is a real MARTA driver (check out the train kids . . . that's what daddy rides).

2 comments:

Gidget said...

Glad your settled in for the night. We will see you tomorrow night (unless you get in after we go to bed). Love ya, Teresa

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you blog ... Ilove reading about your adventures.
Love,
Mom