Monday, January 23, 2006

Severe Traffic Alert

By Chris

I usually take MARTA (the train) to get around Atlanta . . . but I needed a car this time. Everyone here always talks about how horrible people here drive when it rains even a little. Well, it was raining A LOT this morning. The 25 minute drive from the airport to the office took a good 2-hours. All the radio stations (I couldn't find the one with Imus!!) kept talking about a "Severe Traffic Advisory" being in effect. What, exactly, does that mean? They played it like a tornado warning . . . but gave no instructions about what to do. So, while sitting dead still on I-85, I kept getting the reminder that we are under a "Severe Traffic Advisory." Well, yeah, but what is that type of advisory supposed to help with, I wonder? Does that let the locals know they should just stay home that day? They said all routes were heavily congested, so it couldn't mean take another route . . . because they are ALL messed up, apparently. I guess the purpose is only to assure you, as you sit there, that there are not any good prospects for you getting anywhere, anytime soon. I wonder, are there Atlantans who, sitting still on the Interstate, don't realize they are in a traffic jam until this helpful advisory comes on?

No comments: