Friday, March 24, 2006

sitting in the nosebleed section...

by teresa
I have had nosebleeds since I was little. Mom took me to many doctors for it. But nothing ever helped. They have lessened as I got older...but I still have a couple a week. My kids have all inherited this wonderful oddity from me. Lauren used to have one daily in Primary school. At first the school nurse would freak out...then they didn't even pay it much attention because it happened so much. Nick has one every now and again. But Ben...poor Ben has them alot. It wasn't that big a deal at first when they would occur at school. It's the same school nurse from when Lauren attended...so they know...if it's a Green kid...their gonna have to deal with nosebleeds. But the past few weeks he has had several a day at school and they take like an hour to stop. Yesterday he had 3. We finally just had to go pick him up. The nurse suggested I take him to his doctor and see if maybe he has a sinus infection. Whatever! So I made an appointment for this afternoon. I had to pick him up from school because his nose started bleeding right when it was time to get on the buses. Good grief!! The doctor checked him out and said she thinks it has worsened the past few weeks because of allergies (lots of his nosebleeds start with him sneezing). She told me to give him a claratin every morning and also suggested taking some Afrin nose spray and cuetips to the nurse at school. She said if you spray it on the cuetip and rub it on the inside of his nose the bleeding with stop instantly. Okay?? I've never heard of that one before...but I'll try anything. He has to stop missing so much class time. Here's some pictures at the pediatrician's office.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you're the first person to take pics of your kid at the pediatrician's office? Look at that smile ... I'm sure he was the cutest patient they ever had in that place.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that tip for stopping nose bleeds before. During allergy season I'm prone to spontaneous nose bleeds (real doozeys, too) so I'll have to keep that in mind and try it out. Especially since allergy season is right around the corner.