Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rooom Service and Road Check In

I hardly ever get room service when traveling (in fact, I'm usually in hotels that don't have it). And, usually there is something scheduled for every minute of my travel, all the way through dinner and beyond. Tonight, I find myself with no commitments after 5:30! So, I dial up room service.

Ring

RS: Hello, Room service

Me: Yes, I would like . . . .

RS: Oh. Hold on. . . . . . . . Yes.

Uhhh. How does it surprise the person who picks up the phone and says room service that the person on the other end wants to order something? Hahaha.

It's a good day though. With any luck, I'll be snoozin' by 9. I scored again, getting upgraded again on the plane this morning. I'm going to get used to it though, and be very disappointed when it doesn't happen now . . . and there is no way I'm paying to be up there. This morning's row 4 experience offered something new, too. Being the first flight of the day, at the crack of dawn, the pilots were running through all kinds of system checks with the cockpit door open. Man, there are a lot of instruments up there! And, as I discovered this a.m., there are all kinds of friendly audio reminders, repeated in very calm voices built in for the pilots, which I got to hear them run through. "Terrain. Pull-up. Pull-up." "Engine on fire." Again . . . all uttered very calmly. Very reassuring, I guess.

No comments: