Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm a happy happy woman!!

by teresa
I returned to the thrift store by Katy's house today...in search of some good books. I took my time and emptied every single shopping cart. They were over-flowing with books. It took about and hour and a half. Here are the TREASURES I came home with.

My Sister From the Black Lagoon by Laurie Fox
Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman (movie Mean Girls)
Lunch at the Picadilly by Clyde Edgerton (bookseller book of the year)
Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts (Oprahs book club)
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks (I've read a couple of his books...and love them)
Suzanne's diary For Nicholas by James Patterson
The Ice Child by Elizabeth McGregor
The Sacrafice by Beverly Lewis (I've only read one of her books...loved it)
The Covenant by Beverly Lewis
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (voted book of the century...I've always wanted to read this classic)
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt (I've read this...I wanted it for my home library for the kids...it's great)
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (1961 Newberry Award winnner)
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (a story about a teacher in Iran who gathered some female students secretly to read forbidden western classic authors such as Jane Austen, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Vladdimir Nabokov)

kids books...
Garfield Hams it Up
Mailbox Mania
The Hundred Dresses(1945 Newberry honor award)
Eek there's a mouse in the house
Terible times
Going Places
Zelda and Ivy
When Momma comes Home tonight
Ira sleeps Over
Apple picking time

It is my goal to own...and read every Newberry Award winner ever written. And for my children to read them too.
If you don't know... the Newberry Award is given to one book a year in children's literature. The best written book. It started in 1922...and continues today. And without a doubt..every book chosen for this award is GOLD!! Some past winners are...Shiloh, Sarah Plain and Tall, The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, Ginger Pye, Sounder, Walk Two Moons, Holes..etc.
I only have 15 of them. So I am always on the lookout for more.

Oh yeah...by the way...I only spent $20 for all these!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know what you'll be needing for Christmas . . . another bookcase (just kidding).

Knit Wit said...

I have every Nick Sparks book, he is my favorite author. I didn't know until I started reading," The Gaurdian" that is was a thriller. He usually writes romance. It was a great read it had my heart pounding I couldn't put it down.

I recently read a James Paterson book. I really liked it. I think I may start reading more of his books.

My mom is sending me a box full of Beverly Lewis. She loves them.

I love to read but don't get as much time to do it as I use to. My daughter loves books so I hope she will love to read too.