Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Home Sleep Home

By Chris

Well . . . I miss my new bed. Since Teresa did her best to re-create the Marriott sleeping environment, this is my first out-of-towner. Baltimore-Washington hotels were extremely busy, and I find myself at a Quality Inn tonight. Teresa's bed definitely beats this one. There is, however, one problem with the new bedding. Unlike Marriott, we now have satin sheets and pillow cases. Feels reeaaallll good when you slip into bed. But, it's been driving me crazy in the middle of the night, as I literally slide in me sleep and the pillows move their way out from under my head. It's a dilemna, because the satin is intoxicatingly comfy.

Eating lunch today at a nifty little cafe in DC with outside dining, a funny thing happened. These crazy city birds were all over the tables and making these b-line dashes over my head, which caused me to duck every time and loose track of my lunch meeting conversation. I must have looked like a real city amateur, since everyone else just seemed like it was very natural to have the little fellas flapping around. I told my lunch partner that these are obviously crazy city birds, who have never seen one of their cousins shot and retrieved by a dog!! They just were way too comfortable being VERY close to people.

Finally, I saw a funny sign (only in DC) outside a construction site of a huge building. In official text: "A building for the people of the United States of America" followed by architechts' names, contractors' names and a line that read "George W. Bush, President of the United States." No mention of what the building was for. Just that it is for us. Of course it is. Surely, they'll be letting me stay there when it is done. Down the street, my host and gracious driver for the day pointed out a gas station where she recently discovered they openly sell crack pipes! "You wanna see?" she asked. "Uhh. No," I replied.

"twenty bucks on pump three . . . and, oh yes, one crack pipe please."

1 comment:

Zephra said...

crack pipes? OMG now that is scary. Glad you didn't stop.