Thursday, July 20, 2006

Feeling Independent?

By Chris

For the longest time, Lauren has been very iffy about leaving the house when college starts (and now it's only a year away). She has pretty much made up her mind that she is going to ODU . . . just a few miles away (I love my ODU . . . so that's fine by me . . . and she can score free extra student tickets maybe to go along with my season basketbal tix). That would mean that she could stay at home. Teresa is all for this too. She likes to keep track of her babies (and she is an excellent mommy!). From time to time, I mention that just because it is close, doesn't mean she can't still live there. They've just built a new village with retail and apartment style dorms and a new quad-plex of dorms is going up as we speak that are to be state-of-the-art. I usually get these looks from both of them that make me shiver when I bring this up (they are the two ladies of the house, and it's best to keep them happy, really)!

Well something is changing. I'm guessing Lauren has been talking to some friends also bound for ODU. Last night she casually says, "I could live with some people over by ODU, right?" Teresa came out of her half-listening-to-Lauren, half-tv-watching mode quick, and immediately shot a look over to me (it said something like, you just hush up and don't encourage this knucklehead idea!). Of course, I couldn't comply. I said it certainly was possible. I did it that way, and still hang out with my twin roomies during bball season (we have season basketball tickets together). Teresa said maybe in year two, when she shows what she can do. I'm sure she's having visions of wild parties, and such.

I don't think we've heard the last of this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for Lauren staying at home for the first year. I'd miss her too much if she moved away.

Anonymous said...

I totally did NOT want Chris to move out, but, George insisted it would be good for him. I suppose George was right but Teresa makes a good point... us Moms like to keep our babies home as long as we can. Not to worry, though, ya'll have raised her well so whatever choice is made Lauren will do great.