Thursday, August 24, 2006

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life you're given a test that teaches you a lesson

by teresa

Last nights church service was devoted to the Royal Ranger (for boys) and Missionettes (for girls) awards ceremonies. It's kinda like boys scouts and girl scouts...but with biblical teachings included. They camp...do community service (nursing homes)...earn patches and such. Here's some pictures of the kids on stage.











Today has begun badly. I woke up to Lauren stomping through the house. Apparently her cheer sheet signs(painted twin sheets they decorate the stadium with) are due this morning...and she forgot to work on them. So she was tearing through my linen cabinet and craft closet looking for materials. Leaving wreckage trailing behind her. I jumped up to assist her(and save my house from further annihilation). She was under such a time crunch she was only going to do one sign (and get points off). So I made one sign and she the other. I had a big box of fabric paint markers (water proof)...so it didn't take much time once we traced out the words. She snatched them up (running late) and ran out the door...I didn't even get a thank you. Oh well...
Then I hear Ben yelling out the back door. I run to see what's up and see that my back porch look like a landfill. Last night after dinner when we asked Lauren to take out the trash. She apparently took it as far as the back porch...and then left it there. Well this morning Ben let Shorty out...and well...you can imagine the fun Shorty had with that full trash bag. Yuck! I'm going to ring her neck when she gets home. You do know I won't actually ring her neck...I'll just have an extra chore list taped to her bedroom door.

Lots to do today....and most of it is away from the house.
Shopping for school supplies and groceries. I may do groceries later tonight when I don't have to take the boys.

Twelve more days till school begins.
Twelve more days of sleeping in. (boo...instead of rising at 9:00, I will have to get up at 6:15)
Twelve more days of sibling bickering. (yes...I can't take no more)
Twelve more days of playing the day away. (I will miss our play days)
Twelve more days of making three meals a day(my kids eat breakfast and lunch at school)
Twelve more days of no socks (they haven't put on socks since the last day of school). (I hate searching for socks in the morning)
Twelve more days till I get the shop and clean without chasing the boys around. (it's so much easier alone)
Twelve more days till I have to help with homework (sometimes the boys don't cooperate with me)
Twelve more days of late nights chasing fireflies in the backyard. (I love staying up late playing in the backyard)
Twelve more days till I snuggle with Ben and read him to sleep again. (the easiest way to get him to sleep quickly is to read to him)

If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers.

3 comments:

Gidget said...

Our school year begins the day after labor day (every year). and ends the second week of June.

Anonymous said...

School started last Thursday here. I'm not sure why Thursday as opposed to waiting two more school days and starting on a Monday, but I'm sure there is a reason. I was almost run over by my first school bus while out running yesterday...yes, the school year has truly begun.

Watkins said...

I can't believe summer is almost over. We are going to 5 days of girl scout camp. I just packed everything. I hope and pray we have a great time and make some good memories before school starts. Enjoy your time with the kids!