Thursday, August 31, 2006

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it

by teresa

Ben's teacher sent the sweetest letter to Ben yesterday in the mail. He was so thrilled when I told him HE got mail. She told him the year was going to be exciting and fun...and she also told him she had a secret just for him. A secret that would help him to get to know her better. She wrote that she sent a letter to each child in her class with a different secret about her in each letter. On the first day they were going to have a get to know you game...where they each reveal their secret about Mrs. Dixon. This intrigued Ben in a big way. A secret...just for him to know. Cool! His secret to keep is....Mrs. Dixon has a boy dog...named Tyson. Ben keeps quizzing me about the secret. He can't wait till the first day of school to find out everyone elses secrets. What a clever lady Mrs. Dixon is. She also sent him homework to bring in on the first day. It is as follows...
#1 Color a picture to describe the secret you learned about Mrs. Dixon
#2 Color a picture to describe something you would like your teachers to know about you.
#3 Color and cut out the drawing of the child (which was included in the letter) to look as much like you as possible.
Homework already....I'm liking this lady more and more!

We just got home from meeting Nick's teachers. They all seemed nice. I don't know any of them...but I will soon enough. There are several kids in his class taht he knows. He looked relieved when he discovered them. His math teacher is a total hottie. All the moms were lingering to talk to him. I thought that was funny. I went to the PTA table and signed up for EVERYTHING...literally. Library help, reading room, security desk,office helper,fundraisers, bookfair,etc. I can't wait to get back to work. I love my little volunteer jobs. Getting dressed up and getting out of the house and being productive is very good for the spirit!

After Nick's meet and greet we headed to the store to get a present for the boys whos birthday party we are hosting tonight. I ended up getting him a $20 gift card to Radio Shack. What do you get a 14 year old boy? I was at a loss! We also stopped by the DollarTree for all the plates and cups and such for the party. I have the dining room all decorated ...it looks very festive. I know he will be surprised when he comes in and sees the party (which he thinks is just a teen get together) is just for him. I hope lots of kids come. I wasn't in charge of the calling...so I'm not sure how many to expect.

I am soaking wet. Not that I'm upset it's raining...cause it makes me and my flowers very happy. But in between home and the mall and dollartree and then home again...my hair has gotten soaked over and over! Very pretty...let me tell ya! Another bummer about the rain...is that tonights party was supposed to be a pool party. Now all the kids will be packed into my house (with their wet, muddy feet). Joy!

Well...let me go. I'm off to swiffer something.

peace out

2 comments:

Zephra said...

Sounds like his teacher has it together. I bet he will really like her.

Anonymous said...

Ben's teacher sounds really good. I'll bet he learns alot this year and has alot of fun, too.

I'm sorry the kids couldn't have gotten in the pool yesterday. We cleaned it up really good for them. After the storm we're having today (it's raining cats and dogs and a few other animals)I'll bet we have alot of work ahead of us cleaning it back up.

I know Nick will do really well in school this year, too. I'm glad he knows some of the kids in his class. And, he'll love it that you will be volunteering at his school. You can be the office lady's good friend.