Thursday, September 21, 2006

Seventy-six trombones led the big parade....

by teresa

Yesterday was exhausting.

Too many commitments...too little time.

I seriously could hardly get out of the car at church last night after soccer practice. I was fine running around during practice. But once I had sat in the car for the 15 minute drive to church...my legs were like stone.

I even got the boys from class and left church early because I needed to be in my jammies and in my bed!

Once home we went straight upstairs....I even let them put off showers till the morning.

I went over Ben's verses with him for 10 minutes (for his belt test next friday)...then read with Nick (him reading, me listening) for 2 chapters of his new book. I then crawled into my bed with the sleeping Ben (he has slept with me in Chris' absence) and opened my book and could only read for about 15 minutes before my eyes were too heavy. So I cut off the light and was GONE!

Well...at midnight the phone rang. I was all confused and panicked...wondering what dooming phone call this was going to be. A death...and accident...a heavy breather? Once I picked it up...there was only a dial tone. ???? I looked at the caller ID to see if it was one of Lauren's friends...but I didn't recognize the number. I called the number back and a recording said that this was not a registered number. Huh? Yes it is...it just called me. I went to Lauren's room and asked her if someone had called her...but she was just as confused as me. So now it was midnight....and I was UP! I could not get back to sleep till around 4. I ended up reading the rest of my book...and watching some tv in bed...until I felt tired again. When the alarm went off at 6:00am...I was confused as to what the day was. For some reason I thought it was Saturday and we need to get ready for soccer practice. It took me a minute to get back into reality.

Once awake I turned on the weather channel to see what I should put on Ben. I was pleased to see that the high today is expected to be around 65. It's getting here people...fall is finally creepy near. Ben even had to wear a jacket to the bus stop. I bet the football game temperatures tomorrow night are going to be sweatshirt worthy. YES!

I am happy to announce that Nick is going to be able to read any of the Virginia Young Readers books he wants...no matter the AR level and take tests on them. I am very pleased. Also...if there is a book I would like him to read (that is not on this list) that is above his level....we can ask for his teacher approval for that particular book. I feel like it is a small victory. It also depends on how accurate his answers are. You see his grade is not just how many tests he takes...but his comprehension of the material he read. That's why they try to have the kids stay within the level the computer assessed them at. The kids will have a better chance to get a good grade. But I know my kid better than that computer! It seems most parents don't question this usually. Most parents at his school probably don't even know what their kids score is...or care. So they were a little surprised and a little happy that I cared about it enough to question it. I'm glad I spoke up.

The librarian set me up with a faculty account yesterday so I could check out any books I liked. She also asked if I could pick some books that I loved...that are overlooked by students and do a presentation to the 6th grade classes to promote reading. Tell the story of the book...show them how exciting reading can be. Oh I am so going to kick butt doing that. I don't know how I will narrow down my favorites...but I look forward to writing up my synopsis and really putting on a good show. She also said she has some money left for more new books, and would like me to come in next week and choose ones I think we MUST have. Goody goody goody! I love this woman. I want to have this womans job. I must go back to school and be a librarian. I will change my name to Marian...and I will stroll around my library telling people to shush and then break into song in the middle of the aisles! Sorry... I had a "Music Man" flashback there.

I must now take Nick to school. I'll see ya when I see ya.

2 comments:

Zephra said...

The librarian sounds great. I know the kids AR scores because they send them home from time to time. The classes have a big competition for the highest score and the highest scoring kid get a trophy. It is a good program.

Watkins said...

I know it was a long day! I'm sorry. We need to catch up on our sleep! I would like to be a librarian too - maybe we could take classes together. someday . . .

I would love to get copies of your book talks and book lists. I'm trying to think of a good book to donate to Jamie's library for her birthday - something the media center suggested. I love books.