Saturday, October 07, 2006

A quick trip to petsmart?

by teresa

Just took a quick trip up to Petsmart.

Shorty was in dire need of a new bed (instead of my couch).

I thought it would be a great idea to take Ben, Kai (5yr old nephew) and Joe (7yr old cousin).
It's Petsmart....they let dogs run around in there. Surely these three precious boys wouldn't do any harm. Yea...right!

Here's how the trip went.

Everyone fighting in the car as to who was going to sit next to the dog. Finally Shorty hopped into the front seat by me and ended the dispute.

Pulled up to store (lucked out and got first space in front of store)

Got kids out of van. Kai was last to get out...and I asked him to wait by the side of car with the other boys. He then jumped up like a monkey onto my sliding door (made crazy monkey noise) and hurled it closed almost shutting me in it. Shorty squeals and I realize his tail is still in the door. I am trying to move Kai and unlock the door to get Shorty out. Kai laughs...jumps back onto the little median and right into a big pile of dog poop (which I had JUST finished pointing out to the boys to watch out for. Geesh!

I get Shorty's tail free...check it for breaks...and cross the street toward the store (me holding Shorty's leash and Kai's shirt...Kai holding Joe and Joe holding Ben's hand.

Once across the way we stood for a minute before entering to let shorty pee on every inch of the sidewalk.

Upon entering the store Kai shoots off like a dart for the animal aquariums. The boys ooh and ahh over the rats, snakes, geckos and guinea pigs. We then head for the giant bird cage where Ben grabs a hold of the stick the birds are sitting on (through the wire) and spins it. Sending blue and green birds squawking and flapping all over the place. People stare.

We move on to a dog bed display. They are nice and colorful and just what I was looking for. I ask the boys to step aside while I choose a color. Which Kai interprets as....go ahead and yank down the entire display on us. The beds come down on shorty's back....he freaks....and poops right there in the aisle. I am horrified! I trot around a corner (Shorty pooping the entire way) and I peek to see if anyone has witnessed this show. No one has...so we move on.

Joe carries the bed I chose and Ben takes a bag of dog food for me. Kai is whining...wanting to help also (I think he had helped me enough already). So I told him he could pick out some treats for Shortman. He chooses a big box of Scooby snacks. We move on.

I let them ooh and ahh over the kittens...but shorty is getting a little restless. So we head for the check out lane. I stop to look at another display of dog bed I see....and I hear(and see out of the corner of my ear) Kai do some karate scream/spin/kick thing. Then I hear this old lady go ...HUMPH! As Kai hits her in the stomach with his box of Scooby snacks. OMG!!

I try to apologize (and assure her that this is NOT my son :) but she hurrys away from us.

We finally make it to the cash register and put our things down. There is one man ahead of us...but he is almost done checking out. I have Shorty's leash in one hand...and I'm getting out my checkcard with the other. I don't notice it...but shorty has now wrapped himself around this poor mans legs...and as the man walks off he stumbles...and almost yanks my arm off.
I beg his forgiveness...but he just rolls his eyes. Good grief!

As I'm paying the boys run over to the fish displays for one last look. And I am left to schlep all the stuff away by myself (dog bed, dog food, treats and Shorty) What a sight!

As we exit the store and get hooked together to cross the street....it starts raining. Pooh!

I think I will be going to Petsmart (and every other shopping trip) solo from now on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so loud that your Daddy came to see what I was reading.

What an adverture. You should have taken Nick and Jamie, too.

Anonymous said...

Poor Shorty! Give him an extra treat or two to help him get over his trauma!