Monday, November 20, 2006

Basketball and Such

By Chris

So, college basketball is in full swing. Nirvana. Or, something like it anyway. Laptop on my, well, lap, and 51 inches of tv 8 feet away with basketball on all day and all night. It's a Thanksgiving Week tradition. ESPN and their family of networks show back-to-back-to-back-to-back games all week. Get home early (which I did, thanks to a 6:30 a.m. start brought on because I could not sleep with the round ball excitement in the air) . . . basketball on. Stay up until 2 a.m. (which I am planning to do) . . . basketball is on. Go on the Internet . . . and the online discussion communities and news sites are hopping with new content and banter to participate in. I love it! My guys . . . Old Dominion University, sit at 4-1 after beating the #8 team in the country, Georgetown, last night, AT GTOWN. That is huge. Makes me real happy. Pathetic I know. When the inevitable job-out-of-town scenario comes up, basketball is always on the reasons-not-move list. The news about my buddies' babies and other such life events has always waited until the next opportune interaciton, but the win last night warranted a late night phone call (which I never do unless the Monarchs do something big . . . like beat Georgetown . . .by 13!). The Internet message board devoted to Monarch basketball literally crashed from the traffic. More than 300 posts on the game to read and respond to. Oh my!

I do have quite a basketball dilemna on my hands, though. Through 15+ years of season ticket holding for ODU with my boys (friends that is), I always dreamed that my other boys (sons that is) would become huge ODU fans and fiend to watch the Blue and White like dad . . . with dad. . . . 'til the end of my days. Until now, Ben was not really up for a whole game with dad and the fellas. Nick was. So, I have two season tickets . . . not three. Now, Ben and Nick both have the basketball fever. Awesome. Except, I don't have enough tickets. Iam having to buy an extra one every game since neither wants to go along with the every-other-game plan I was counting on. And I don't have the heart to deny either one. They both even suckered me into buying them close to $100 worth of ODU stuff so far in the fan shop, and we are only five games into the season. "Dad look at this beanie with the lion on it!" "How about this cool hat, dad. It looks good on me!" "This sweatshirt goes good with the beanie!" They know when game days are now, and get the gear on in anticipation. How do you say no to that? My precious little Monarch Maniacs! They already know the players, their numbers, the songs, the cheers . . . the cheerleaders, the dance team (sorry mom, but apparently such things are necessary). I would be heart-broken to miss a game too. I know how they feel. With the light shows, rousingly loud bass thumpin' player intros with video graphics, strobe lights and chest thumping bravado, it is all very stimulating to the testosterone-controlled portion of our being. Already they have won pizza, t-shirts, seat cushions, pens and more. How exciting. But, what about the sold-out games. How will that work? I may have to pluck down some more donation dollars and ticket money to secure another seat. I've sort of thrown that thought out to Teresa, but she doesn't respond. What does that mean? I always respond when she asks me about something (and often when she doesn't ask). Of course, it will cost less then the unexpected furniture that just showed up! She says the 9:00 end times are too late for a second grader . . . but, hey, it's only a few times a year, right? What's a basketball lovin' dad to do??

Oh, and on an unrelated note. Recent radio ad I heard: "Did you pay too much for your last funeral?" Hahahahahaha

Well. That's enough. It's 10:30 p.m. and DePaul is unexpectedly hanging with Kentucky in the second half in Hawaii. Must go watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That bedroom furniture was a real deal - not expensive at all. But, I must say that father and sons spending time together at B-Ball games is priceless and well worth the cost, whatever it is. It's great that they enjoy it almost as much as you do.