Sunday, January 14, 2007

God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.

by teresa

Ben has a nemesis.

It is a bird.

A pretty red-bellied robin.

A pretty red-bellied MOMMA robin!

We all know how us mommas can be when it comes to protecting our babies...do we not?

Well....this particular momma bird has set up housekeeping in the bushes beside our porch.

I hear her scurry around beneath the foliage from time to time...never making herself seen to me. The same goes for Chris, Lauren and Nick.

However...Ben is a different story.

Something about my beautiful, blue-eyed boy....chaps this girls feathers!

Whenever he ventures outside on his own...this hostile nester comes out of her shrubbery sanctuary and dive bombs him like the Japanese at Pearl Harbor!

We usually know this has occurred because we hear Ben screaming and then he runs back inside huffing and puffing and babbling something that sounds like...."bird...big bird...my head...wouldn't stop!"

Last week when we were getting in the car for church she did it in my presence. Swooped down from out of nowhere and pecked him on the head and flew off. He was like...."SEE...SEE...I TOLD YOU!"

Oh it's on now girlfriend!

All week I have made sure to bump that bush whenever I am walking by. Just to tick her off. :)
I also had a few words with her (momma to momma)...just to let her know I wasn't going to stand for more of her avian antagonism.

Our little chat must have fallen on deaf ears (birds have ears...right?). Because the other day Ms. Bird (I say Ms. and not Mrs. because I don't think Mr. Bird is around anymore...can you blame him?) got mad....and in her anger she got careless. Chris was getting in his car...and Ben was on the porch....and I was in the doorway (holding the storm door open talking to Chris). The bird got upset at us loitering in her territory....and tried to fly straight into Ben's head. Unfortunately for her.... Ben was behind the storm door I was holding open.

BAM! She hit that door so hard it pushed Ben and I back a bit.

Ohhhh! That's gotta hurt!

She flew off...and hasn't picked on Ben since.

Teresa 1.....Bird...0!

4 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

What a funny story! That will teach that bird to pick on your son! I hate birds, they freak me out.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it is about Ben that that moma bird is after? It's probably the color of his hair . . . it goes with the decor of her nest. You, Lauren and Nick all have dark hair and Ben and Chris have lighter hair. The bird knew Chris didn't have much to share, so she went after Ben.

Gidget said...

that's just wrong mom!
True...but wrong!

Anonymous said...

I know. . . Sorry Chris. I couldn't resist.