Friday, January 26, 2007

The kids are out of school today (teachers workday).

We slept in....that was nice.

I trimmed Ben's hair and then he took a 40 minute shower!

Lauren is still asleep (and probably will be for another 5 hours:).

We have been reading all morning. Mostly the bible. The boys both have a belt test this afternoon and have many many verses to have memorized.

We finished Bridge to Terabithia the night before last. It was awesome. Ben closed the book...sighed...and said "that was the best book I ever read". The book is pretty hard for a second grader to read. Some of it is in "backwoods slang"...but I helped him through it. Also...some curse words (hell and damn)...which I noticed and changed to other words when translating.

It dealt with love, bullying, child abuse, using your imagination and loss. Very deep things...but put in a way all kids will understand.

Last night Ben started the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. We are about 50 pages into it...and it is very good. Click the title to read about it.

I finished The Red Tent last night. Have any of you ever heard of it....or read it? Amazing....that's all I can say. It is a library book....so I will buy it next time I'm in Barnes & Noble so I can read it again and again. *although the characters are biblically based...it is fiction*

I'm gonna go and charge the camcorder and camera batteries for the belt testing.

Have a blessed day!

Oh...and I forgot to give you guys a read-a-thon update.

Ben has now read 970 minutes.

Hooray for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those books sound really interesting. I probably would enjoy reading them, too.

I'll pledge $20.00.

Anonymous said...

What a great thing ... teaching the kids to appreciate reading, especially the WAY you do it GO TERESA!

Okay Karen ... I'll pledge $21.00 (hehe). I should have put my pledge in when it was at $15.00.