Wednesday, April 25, 2007

move it!

by teresa
Last night was Family Fitness night at Ben's school.
I love this night. Lots of moving, jumping, dancing. The kids are always exhausted by the end of the evening.
I took Ben, Kristian and Kai and they had a blast.
There were six stations to rotate through.

*a ball game where you stand in a ring and hit the ball with your hand...if it hits your body and you don't hit it back to someone you have to jump out of the ring and hop over a jump rope 10 time before returning to the game. Kristian was very good at this. She was bobbing and weaving and jumping over the ball. Ben and Kai were out many many times jumping over the rope.
*the favorite of the night was the parachute. I remember playing with it too when I was a kid. Lifting it high over our heads and feeling like it would pull me off the ground. The kids favorite last night was lifting it high and then hopping underneath to form a big balloon.
*they had a man come from the YMCA and talk about pool and beach safety. He told them never to try to jump in to save a friend your self. He said to throw a ball to them (we all have soccer balls in our yard) and run in to get a grownup. I never thought of that. Any ball with air would be good. He also suggested a cooler.
*Ben and Kristian enjoyed the dancing class. Shy Kai was having NONE of that. I videoed one of the dances and I will try to upload it later.
*we also played beach ball volley ball....on our butts. The parents joined in too. That floor was hard and unforgiving! It was so hard for the kids to stay on their bottoms. Instinct for them is to dive at the ball...no matter if it is close to them or not.
*in one room they had five sweet girls from ODU dental school come and teach the kids about keeping healthy mouths. They got some cool new tooth brushes and goody bags.
Before we left I took the kids to the book fair and let them pick out a book, pencil and bookmark.
I can't wait until next year when Kristian and Kai go to Ben's school.
Did I tell you that already?
My sister is moving two streets over from us in June. So the kids will all go the same school.
I am beyond excited about that.

4 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Yes, I do believe I will be singing that song all day!

Anonymous said...

Hah! You thought you could stick a song into my impressionable little brain today, but I fooled you! My speakers aren't working! So take that!

That sounds like it was a really fun night! I always loved when they would throw something on the parachute like whiffle balls for us to bounce around.

Anonymous said...

The kids will really enjoy going to Norfolk Highlands with Ben. I'm excited about that, too, and that Katy and the kids will be living in a really nice place that's nearby -- .3 mile (not that 5 miles was very far, but the traffic is bad most of the time).

Anonymous said...

By the way...Tag, you're it! Come check out my blog!