Monday, April 23, 2007

time for bed boys!

by teresa *song: Goodnight by Evanescence*

Book fair this week at Ben's school.
Half price book fair.
Sweet!
All the classes got to come in today and browse.
They got paper and pencil and were told to write down what they liked...and then show it to mom or dad or grandma or whoever.
Then bring back money any day this week.
Most kids scrambled around...jotting down everything their eyes landed on.
One little boy kept walking from display to display. Nothing!...he would pout.
This went on for fifteen minutes.
His teacher would suggest this and that. He would still write nothing down.
When his teacher gave the one minute warning I noticed he went to the corner and hung his head.
I pulled him to me.
I asked him what things he like to watch on tv.
He said spiderman and pokemon were two of his favorites.
Well! I said, we have many books that you would love.
I showed him the pokemon books.
I asked if he would like me to write then down quickly for him.
He said...no. We don't have any money. That's why I didn't write anything down.
I told him that everything was very cheap...and I asked him how much money he had at home.
He said...35cents.
Well! I said.....that book only costs 35 cents (a little fib).
You bring it in tomorrow and buy it.
He smiled and bounced out of the room with his class.
Note to self....stop by the ATM on the way to school tomorrow.

I took the boys upstairs for bed tonight.
I was just going to tuck them in and come straight down and watch tv.
We ended up reading, having a tickle fight, singing, dancing and taking goofy pictures.
Good thing we have a DVR...cause I missed all my shows.



It was worth it though. They are getting older now...and I don't know how much longer they will want mom to come lay in the bed with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day you had! You've made me cry. What a blessing you are to those kids at school.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the book of "lasts" which is the best and emotionally stirring book I think I've ever read.