Thursday, May 17, 2007

In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips.

by teresa

Lauren and Nick rarely get along.

Every little thing he does....bugs the living poo out of her.

And she has no problem letting him know it.

But let someone else say something to him....and that's a totally different issue apparently.

Yesterdays happenings:

Lauren and I are chatting when we hear Nick's bus pull to the corner.

After a couple of minutes and no door flying open (he usually burst through the door to go to the bathroom and get his snack) we went and looked for him.

Some trees were blocking our view...but we could hear voices at the corner.

I said..."oh no, someone has been picking on Nick on the bus....I bet they are down there right now."

Lauren looked at me incredulously.

I repeated my statement about the bully.....and what happened next still makes me smile....and laugh out loud a little.

My daughter (who wouldn't find fleeing a burning building a reason to rush or run) leapt off our front porch toward the street. Leaving Ben and I standing there with out mouths hanging open.

As she got to the street Nick came up....head down....looking blue....and surprised to see us there.

Lauren asked him what he was doing at the bus stop for so long....and he confirmed what we believed to be true. This person had picked on him the entire bus ride home and got off at the bus stop to continue.

Lauren asked Nick...which way they went. He pointed to the right...looking a little apprehensive about it. "Why", he asked? But she said nothing....she just gave chase.

What happened after she rounded the corner...I didn't see. But here's what Lauren told us when she came back home.

She saw a group of three standing a couple corners away. She ran up to these kids like a charging bull....I'm sure this was a bit frightening for them as my daughter is NOT a petite little flower of a woman. She frightens me sometimes :)

Here's how the conversation went:

Lauren: WHICH ONE OF YOU WAS MESSING WITH NICK GREEN ON THE BUS?

Bullies: uhhhhh....not me...one says. uhhhh....another speaks up....he was messing with me.

Lauren: Nick Green....messing with you? Yeah right! DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH HIM AGAIN!!! DO YOU HEAR ME? (Then she realized that she was now 18yrs old....so she held back from telling them WHAT she would do if they ever touched them again....also she said she was about to go all ghetto beat down on 'em).

Bullies: ran

She came back home (flushed, a little out of breathe, that curly hair flying this way and that) and looked on her calendar.
"I don't have to be at work till 5:00pm tomorrow.....I will be at the bus stop tomorrow when Nick pulls up."

For those kids sake....I hope they don't touch her brother!


Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize.
Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks.
Borrow. Break. Monopolize the bathroom. Are always underfoot.
But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there.
Defending you against all comers.
~Pam Brown

9 comments:

Zephra said...

That would be one of my proudest moments if that were my child. I would never expect that from mine but then again it seems you didn't expect it from yours either right?

Mrs. Schmitty said...

She is awesome! I remember doing that with my little brother. You can't stand them most of the time, but deep down little brothers are the greatest and it's up to us to protect them!

Anonymous said...

LAUREN . . . ONE MORE REASON WHY I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

The above comment from Mom was actually from Nanny.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! Go Lauren! Can you imagine when she has her own little ones someday? Watch out for Mama Bear!

The Turmanators said...

What a wonderful story. And hilariously written, as well! I can only hope that my Short People will look out for each other half as well in 13 years.

Thanks for stopping by...I enjoyed your site and will be back! How did you find me?

Long Day With Short People

Mrs. Darling said...

Good for her! Thats what family si all about!

Lainey-Paney said...

Go Big Sis!

Remember that story forever.
You'll be telling at Thanksgiving one year when your house is bustling with grandbabies!

:)

Anonymous said...

Lauren ... YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! I am so proud of you ... again.