Thursday, September 06, 2007

I can't believe it's Thursday already!

by teresa


Phew!
What a busy day we had yesterday.
Two meetings...MOPS and PTA.
Then two soccer practices last night ...Tiny Tots (Kai's team of 5&6yr olds) and Training Team (Ben and Kristian's team of 7&8 yr olds).
It was a tiny bit hectic...but a whole lotta fun.
We met some new parents and kids...and caught up with some familiar families we have coached in the past.
What a privilege we have being able to become part of these families lives several months of the year.
And the best perk.....love and hugs from all the kids.
If you've never coached a child's team....I highly recommend it.


We had one little 5yr old girl....very shy...super nervous. Holding tight to moms leg...not wanting to have any part of the controlled chaos of practice. I was able to get her from mom and dad under the pretense of helping me take pictures. After I let her take some of the team practice I asked if I could take some of her kicking the ball too. She did...and kept coming over to see the pictures. After a few minutes (and thirty pictures later) she was playing with the other children without even realizing it.
I can't wait to see how she does on Sat.
We used to have to do tricky stuff like that to get Nick to do anything. So we are old pros with nervous children.

Speaking of Nick....he is loving school. He loves his classes...and every teacher. This is such a relief for us....since he has had problems in the past with bullies and burned out teachers that don't seem to like children yet chose a career where they are with children all day. He also did so well at his first soccer practice on Tuesday. I was giddy with excitement on the sidelines...and he even had to shush me for cheering his name. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Ben...is Ben. He goes with the flow. Loves everyone...and is loved by everyone. If only life were so easy for the rest of us.
Lauren has adjusted to college life well...and even went out last night to a study group for Bio. She has found a great balance between school, work and a social life. At least we think it's a good balance....ask us again when grades some out.

I am off to drop Nick off at school, hit the Y and run some errands. After that...the rest of my day is free till Ben comes home.
Life is good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is good, full of life and fun. You go!

Anonymous said...

My dad coached my little brother's baseball team three or four years in a row. My mom used to refer to them as "The Bad News Bears" because they weren't the most sportsman-like team in the league, but they were REALLY talented. This cute little group of little kids could swear like sailors, cheat like card sharks, and fight like felons! The league kept giving my dad the same team every year because a) no one else would take them and b) he could control them somewhat. I still remember one of the players in particular. He played catcher and he really seemed to know how to push a batter's buttons while they were at the plate. One time, he must've said something really bad because in mid-pitch, the umpire whipped his mask off and exclaimed, "You can't say that!" Needless to say, the kids instantly took advantage of his sudden confusion and lack of attention to the game and quickly ended that inning! Despite things like that, my dad really seemed to enjoy doing it, so it must've been worth all the frustration to him!