Wednesday, September 19, 2007

we are so blessed to have each other

by teresa

I literally fell out of bed this morning. Chris had cut the radio down to a whisper last night in an attempt to listen to one of his talk shows....so when the alarm went off this morning....we didn't hear it for 15 minutes.
Yikes!
I leaped from the bed...hit my toe (ouch) on the chest...tripped and kept tripping across the room with nothing to grab on to...and ended up hitting the bathroom door (which wasn't closed all the way) which flew open and I came to a halt on the bathroom floor. I made so much noise I'm sure I scared Chris to death. I just sat there holding my wounded toe...and giggling. It looked like something from a Three Stooges sketch.

I need to go to the bookstore later and buy the book for our next church book club meeting. It's called...30 Days to Taming the Tongue. I'm sure it is a fine book...but you guys know me. I am not into non fiction....self helpish books. So this will be a chore to read...and retain.
The only way to get to pick the book we read is to host a club meeting in your home. So host I shall! January is all mine! I will have everyone read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Now that is an important and exciting book to read.
Speaking of books....my birthday is in 10 days. So you know I have a book list going for all the Barnes & Noble gift cards I get each year. Mom asked.."Do you want the usual B&N gift card? "Don't you have all the books you want?"
That is very funny. I always have a list going. I can never have too many.
Now a place to put them....that's what I need.
Every bookcase, shelf, basket, ledge and nook is filled with books.
Maybe Nick can help me out...and build me something.

I walked over to mom's last night before I went to bed. Her and Lauren were on the couch...books spread all around...studying for a test. They have been doing this for a few nights now. Lauren did below average on a test she took the night of my dad's viewing (what a horrible week to prepare for a test). So my mom has made it her mission to get Lauren A's in all her classes from now on. Lauren has been staying with mom since last Tuesday...and I think it gives mom something and someone to fuss over.

Once all the kids are off to school, mom and I are heading over to the cemetery. Not to mourn over my father's grave (we are not that kinda family...we know that he is not there anymore...so we don't need to go "visit" him) but to look at other peoples grave markers. The ladies from the cemetery came yesterday for us to design his marker...and we just couldn't think of the perfect words...or symbols for it. So we decided to go look around and maybe pick up some ideas or inspiration from how others are designed. It may sound weird...but we really want to to be perfect.

I am off to wake the sleeping giant.
Nick.
That boy keeps getting taller and taller and older looking...but thankfully he is still has the heart of a child. He went for a bike ride yesterday evening and came back all upset. "Mom...dad...guess what I just saw?" "A girl from my bus walking down the street....smoking!"
*dun dun dun* *dramatic music*
Oh no...not smoking!!
Most people would not be shocked by this.
In this day and age when you can walk down the street in some places and see kids having sex, doing drugs or worse to each other.
But to Nick...this was mind blowing.
Why would a 12 yr old be smoking?
He said, "she better watch out or the police will see her."
I like that he was upset by this.
Hopefully he will never pick up that habit.
Now if he was just as offended by that smell coming from his room...I would be a happy.

3 comments:

Zephra said...

I think I will be reading that book soon too. It is supposed to be a good one.

I am glad your son is still surprised by seeing things like that. My kids are too...hell, even I am sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying having Lauren spending the nights with me. And I hope I don't drive her crazy about studying. I just have a hard time with not being prepared.

Anonymous said...

You should have the book club read a Harry Potter book :)
I;m glad Nick was shocked by the smoker too. I want them to hang on to their innocence as long as possible.