Tuesday, September 18, 2007

one week down...

by teresa

I'm still here...and I'm doing ok.

At first the hurt was so bad I thought my heart would burst (and my head...boy does your head get stuffy when you cry for 48 hours straight).

Now the tears have been replaced by laughter.

Laughter from stories about the funniest...most complicated man I will ever know.

Stories from co-workers, childhood friends and his siblings.

Most of my favorite stories were from Joe...his teenage neighbor...and future brother in law. This is one big man. Scared everyone in the neighborhood. When I here about his exploits I think about that song from the 70's Leroy Brown...baddest man in the whole *bleep* town!
Lil' Jimmy would bug the snot (Joe's words) out of him to play with him. With Dad being 7 or 8...Joe being about 14....Joe would get aggravated at his pestering. You would be more successful trying to shoo flies off honey. My Dad was relentless..and wanted Joe to play cowboys and Indians with him. Joe finally gave in....took lil' Jimmy...tied him to the clothesline....packed leaves under his feet (he said at this point my dad was completely giddy with excitement over how "real" Joe was playing) and then set it on fire.
Yes, on fire!
Joe said he was going to put it out...after Jimmy started to get upset. But about that time...Jean (his momma and my namesake) came bursting out the back door. She jumped on Joe and started wailing on him(the woman was truly a force not to be messed with). He said...she was so busy beating the life out of him...that she had forgotten about lil' Jimmy. He was still screaming...leaves a smokin'...and tied to the pole. They all finally did remember Jimmy's peril...and set him loose. He was crying...and smelled like barbecue...but ok.

Joe went on to marry Dad's sister Linda....get saved and become a preacher later in life.

He was at mom's house this past week. Older...but still a giant of a man. He told this story and many, many others. After the laughter would die down...he would sit...and cry for his lil' buddy.
That was tough to watch.

*sigh*

I went back to my volunteer work today. I sat at the security desk at Ben's school for a couple of hours. I wanted to just get out of the house...and pretend things were normal.

One week down.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I emailed Mr. Watts last week to let him know about Jimmy. I received a reply back from him today and he said, "Jimmy was a favorite client of mine. He was charmingly gruff, and had a way of endearing himself to you. It was a sad day when I read your e-mail." I thought the "charmingly gruff" was an apt description of Jimmy, although I never saw the "gruff" side.

One more thing - the height of a man is not how you measure a man! Jimmy was a giant of a man in my book!

Missing him every day,
Kitty

Anonymous said...

Kitty,

Thanks for contacting John Watts. I was thinking about doing that myself. He seemed to like Jimmy very much. Even occasionally emailed funny jokes or stories to him.

I miss Jimmy more every day, too.

Anonymous said...

Those stories make me laugh, too. It feels good to remember and to talk with others who are feeling the same huge loss that you feel.

Lisa said...

Still keeping you in my prayers.


Blessings
Lisa

Zephra said...

I am surprised he was allowed to marry in...LMAO

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

I found you through Wandering Wednesday http://momsblogging.com/2007/09/19/wandering-wednesdays/

and just wanted to let you know how saddened I am for your loss. I don't know you from Adam, but my heart still aches for you.

Hang in there!

Heather

PS. I really enjoyed your blog!)