Tuesday, November 27, 2007

by teresa

All our decorations are up.

Tree.

Bushes.

Wreaths.

Mantle.

We let the boys have some left over stuff to make a winter wonderland in the backyard. Mom also contributed to the boys "Griswald" back yard fantasy.

Although she put up lots of wonderful things (the most special). There were some things of Dad's she left in the attic or let the boys borrow.

My father did Christmas up special. Window displays(fake snow,Santa and Mrs. Claus,etc.), animated figures(elves, angels and snowflakes) and Santa's sleigh in the front yard(filled with wrapped gifts). Passers by would slow their cars to a crawl to linger in front to see all he had done.

It hurts.

We miss him so much.

It's as though someone ripped off the bandaid just as the scab was healing.

It's the elves that got me. Those awful, ugly elves he loved so much. He rejoiced over the ebay wins for each of them. He would find a place of honor for the set of them. Katy and I remarked at how scary they were...with their saw, hammers, etc.(they were toy makers). Did I mention that they move? Yes...move. Creepy. She put a Barbie head in one of the hands last year and Dad got all grumpy about it. How dare we dishonor his elves. hee hee

I love those darn elves!



*sigh*








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Christmas decorations are just another thing that remind me of your Dad. I think he would be happy with the den window. If he was looking down from Heaven, he was probably laughing at me trying to get the garland lights on right on the front porch rails. And I know he would really like Chuck and Gerri's new decorations. He would want to out do them. Maybe I'll try to do that next year.

Anonymous said...

I think Jimmy would be proud of Nick and Ben for their "Griswald" backyard, and would be please with the way Karen decorated the house and yard. Good picture of the elves, Teresa. Only a picture can accurately portray them.

Zephra said...

I just got such a chuckle thinking about your Dad coming upon the elves with the barbie head.

Kimmy said...

That was a nice tribute to your dad! I could really feel how much you love and miss him!

The elves... scary. Too funny with the Barbie head. Sorry, Dad! :)

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your flannel pj's ;)

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that I would ever love those ol' scary lookin' elves.?.?.?. well, I do! It makes me think of him. I miss him so much it hurts!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Yes, those elves are kind of scary. LOL

I'm sorry for the hurt you are feeling and the loss. But he knows you miss him.