Thursday, January 17, 2008

2nd Semester

By Chris

This week, Lauren starts her second sememster of college. We're a lot alike, so I know exactly where she is. In semester one, she stayed afloat, figured out what it takes, and what you can get away with (and not get away with), and she seems to be super engaged and motivated for round two. She's taking a healthy 16 hours, which will require her to be organized and tuned in. She's also trying a night class, at my suggestion (we're both night people . . . and you get the whole week done in one evening). Problem is, she's taking an 8 a.m. class too. Duh. Oh, well. She's also taking her first English (writing) class. I've been predicting she would like it since middle school. She acted like she didn't like English classes and writing, but she's always had a natural instinct for communicating well in writing and for seeing literary themes. Sure enough, she came back pretty jazzed about English. She says it's the teacher. What she doesn't know is that she gets the English teacher because the woman is speaking a "language" that Lauren's brain gets. It happened to me. I NEVER would have said I would end up majoring in English. But, after four or so English classes seemed more like fun than work, I gave in. I'm not saying that will happen to her, but it's neat to see her finding out what her natural gifts are around . . . and she doesn't even know it. That's a big part of what college is about.

2 comments:

Zephra said...

You can tell you enjoy writing too. I always enjoy the way you write your posts. 16 hours is a lot. I hope she can keep in there.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Lauren is enthusiastic about her classes. I'm praying for her to stay committed. She can handle the schedule. Look what she juggled while in high school.