Friday, January 25, 2008

by teresa

Have you ever had an entire 3rd grade chapter book read to you in one sitting?
It is long...and painful.
Ben has me lay next to him in our bed (like I'm the kid) and he reads stories and shows me the pictures.
Chris comes walking in to change into his jammies....sees us there (and me with my "help me" face on behind Ben's back....and he runs downstairs and leaves me there to go it alone.
coward.
We are 8 days into the 14 day readathon.
Earlier this week we read Flowers For Algernon. Nick, Ben and I read it aloud (I mostly did the reading). And thank goodness for that! Although a very good book for adults....not so much for the kiddies. I got to a few "sex" parts and stumbled on my words. ummmmm....Charlie was finally able to ....ummmm give hugs to Faye. Or...Charlie's mother punished him as a child when she caught him in his room...ummmmm....making a mess. I was very creative...and got through the entire book without having to have any uncomfortable discussions with my sons. And the book was just as good as I heard it was.
Before I head off to take Nick to school...and pick grandaddy up for the Y I wanted to give you guys a readathon update.
Ben is at 1,545 minutes!
I think he is right on track to get his anticipated 2,000 minutes or over.
The only thing he is behind on is pledges.
If he gets 10 people to pledge at least $10 and he reads for at least 10 days in a row he gets a big prize. Right now he has 5 people who have pledged. So sign up and help him make his goal. Sterling pledged $20. You guys at church (Kimberly, Kitty, Cherie, Christin, Scott) can't have her showing you up.

7 comments:

christincherie said...

I'll pledge $5, but you'll have to remind me because I forget these things. Sorry, we're poor folks, not rolling in the dough like Sterling. Hehehehehehehe.

Hampton Roads Hurricanes said...

We would like to pledge $20.00. Great work Ben!!

Anonymous said...

Okay ... can't be outdone by Sterling. Make mine $20.00.

Anonymous said...

We read Flowers for Algernon for school in 10th grade. Funny, I don't remember any of those iffy spots. Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Hi Teresa,
Put Eric and I down for $10

Anonymous said...

Put Kim and I down for 40( thats 20 a piece but I pay it all)

Scott

Anonymous said...

hey sister...put me down for $10.

Yayy Ben!