Friday, March 28, 2008

by teresa

We had the most exciting soccer game last night.
Ben scored 4 goals.
One being a penalty kick (photo below) when the other team touched the ball in front of their goal.
He looked totally calm, but told us later he was very nervous in his tummy.
I asked him if he would have rather us got someone else to kick the shot and he adamantly said "NO!"
"I was nervous...but I knew I could do it."

I was not wanting him to kick it.
Put another kid in...please!
I felt it was too much pressure and I didn't want him to be disappointed in himself if he missed.
But the team mom doesn't get to make the decisions (unless your needing to know what snack to bring or where the party is).
Dad (coach) called the shots.
I should have had faith.
We (I) should let our kids know we believe in them, and encourage them to try new things. Cheer them on if they make it, and pick them up if they fail. Life involves having the courage to take risks despite the fear of failure.
I'll remember that next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AW MAN! I knew we would miss something good. I hope Ben doesn't think he plays better when we're not there. ;(

Anonymous said...

I love that picture. I'm glad he made the goal, but an occasional miss makes the goal that much sweeter.