Friday, April 18, 2008

by teresa

Okay. Parent vs. kid game.
We do it every season and it is a lot of fun.
The kids think it is cool that mom and dad are running about and the parents get a little taste of what the kids do each game.
We take it easy on them and try not to kick the ball so hard that it breaks some kids nose. We tippy toe around and kick the ball from side to side like a game of cat and mouse.
Well this year Ben and Kristian moved up to another league.
The midget league. I know...midget league....why that name?
Anyway....different league ....bigger field.
Waaaaay bigger field.
Also...bigger kids.
Waaaaay bigger kids.
Kids with skills.
Ladies and gentlemen....these kids whipped our wore out, middle aged, under exercised, over fed booties!
And we tried. We actually tried with all our might.
We kicked that ball without any care of breaking a nose or blackening an eye. We played dirty, grabbing kids out of our way. I think there might have even been some tripping. But still....we lost 2 to 1. And I was in the goal for one of those shots. Darn it! I did save a few though....and I have the huge bruise on my belly (yes, I got a ball shot right in the gut and it still hurts 2 days later) and my knee to prove it.
I knew we were in trouble when, on the opening kickoff, my sister went to trounce the ball and ended up with her face in the dirt. The opening kick off. On the ground. Head over heels. It was so funny I think I peed my pants a little bit.
It was the longest, hardest hour I have experienced since labor.
And our co-coach (who is fit, young and full of energy) has announced that we will do it again next week.
He must be crazy.
It was Wednesday night and I still moan when I bend down to tie my shoes.
Chris will be out of town....lucky.










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures and your captions. Makes me wish I was there (but not playing). You guys are getting old (ha ha). But I'm not. I'm still young...just like The Daddy.

Anonymous said...

That was a painful memory. I still have the bruises to prove we tried our hardest. Thanks for all the laughs. Dominique

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sorry I missed that one! I'm with Karen ... I'm not getting old either no matter how much hair color, moisturizer and make up it takes. I may even resort to excercise.

Zephra said...

I loved the P v. K baseball games after season. The parents always substituted the baseballs for water balloons and the team on the field was armed with water guns.