Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mom! 16 more minutes until Michael Phelps 200m butterfly!

by teresa

The Green family is completely engrossed in all things Olympic.
If it's on, we are watching.
If we are sleeping, we are dvring it.
Handball, basketball, swimming, diving, volleyball, water polo, softball, soccer, gymnastics and tennis.
We even sat for a few minutes of equestrian, skeet shooting and boxing.
The kids have never really been interested in past Olympics. It's been nice having so much family time. As you know, it's usually hard to find something the entire family can watch without embarrassing bleeps and boobs popping unexpectedly on the screen.
I never got into the Olympics as a kid. It was always an aggravating interruption of my Love Boat or Fantasy Island tv time. And don't even get me started about how Wimbledon used to interrupt my life for weeks, forcing me to go outside and play or heaven forbid read a book to pass my day away.
Ben's favorite is swimming. Michael Phelps swimming to be exact. Why? Because Ben likes to win. And Michael Phelps is a winner.
Nick's favorite is beach volleyball. He is a 13yr old boy. Need I say more?
Lauren and Chris like the basketball games.
My favorite is gymnastics. The kids are so talented and impressive. I just can't get over how they can make their bodies do these incredible things and make it look so effortless.
What is your favorite Olympic event to watch?

6 comments:

christincherie said...

Definately gymnastics with swimming as a close second!! Gymnastics make me so nervous b/c they do such crazy things, but it's awesome when they nail something, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I am an old Olympic buff...I liked them always because I always saw The USA as the "good guys" taking on the "the bad mis-informed communists". I watched Nadia twist when they had never seen a perfect 10 and Mary Lou Retton. I even remember Mark Spitz. I guess gymnastics, swimming, diving and basketball(in that order for now, until Bridgie heads to the 2016 as a basketball player...her goal, not mine) Enjoy it. What over comers they are. I am proud to be an American.

Watkins said...

My mom loved the Olympics. She actually took her vacation during that time every 2-4 years. We were out of town when they started but someone taped them for me. I still haven't taken a few minutes to watch them. However, I have to share the TV with a lot of other people.

Our family loved swimming, gymnastics, and in winter - the ice skating. Love, Mel

Anonymous said...

Gymnastics is my favorite, then swimming and then volleyball. Christin, you should be able to do gymnastics really well since you're so flexible that you can twist your body like a pretzel.

christincherie said...

Haha...funny Karen!! Probably not right now, although when you're in labor, you might as well be in a pretzel!

Anonymous said...

I love the Olympics too, but I hate having to stay up so late or trying to watch them online!

Hey, Teresa, what's up with your C & W music this week? I didn't think that was your genre of choice!

Kitty