Friday, August 22, 2008

summer memories

by teresa

It was a great night at the beach.
Our last Thursday of summer vacation.
Technically, we have one more. But our "week before school madness" will go on for the next seven days. Leaving little time to head to our little spot of heaven that we have enjoyed each Thursday since school let out in June. Wow, this summer has flown by. I'm a little sad....but ready to have the kids head to school and me back to my volunteering and regular housework schedule. I will miss the late night snuggling in front of the tv, cheering on USA in whatever sport they happen to be playing. I will miss the late wake ups with the boys in the morning, racing to see who can make the bed the fastest and heading down to have granola bars on the patio before heading to the pool for a morning dip. I will miss Nick making me the perfect grill cheese for lunch, watching Law & Order with Lauren till 2am, Chris coming home from work early to surprise the boys, heading out for midnight slurpies or Denny's grandslams and moonlit swims....trying to be super quiet so we wouldn't wake the sleeping neighbors.
What I won't miss is the "mom, I'm bored!" and the sibling bickering from being around each other too much. The constant state of untidiness from children having fun in the house. The empty fridge(my Lord do they ever stop eating?) and the heat. I do not like to sweat.

________________________________________________
Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you're squeezing all the olympic watching you can in these last few days. I'm really sad summer is almost over. I love the Thursday nights at the beach ... it's been the highlight of our summer.

Anonymous said...

I missed going to the beach with you last night. It's been really nice and relaxing to go every
Thursday this summer. I'll miss summer, but won't miss the mosquitos. That's why Autumn is my favorite season. . . the bugs go away.

Anonymous said...

I missed going to the beach with you last night. It's been really nice and relaxing to go every
Thursday this summer. I'll miss summer, but won't miss the mosquitos. That's why Autumn is my favorite season. . . the bugs go away.