Thursday, November 20, 2008

People who snore always fall asleep first.

by teresa

We were watching a show last night that was discussing "my side of the bed" and how we can be so inflexible when it comes to our bedtime idiosyncrasies.
I laughed at the character and his little quirks and then I realized....it was me.
I too have silly "must haves" to get settled for the big eight each night.

1. Most important....a fan. On high...even in the middle of the winter. Gotta have the noise and feel the breeze somewhere on me or I feel suffocated. My tolerant hubby says it sounds like a helicopter hovering over the bed.

2. The right side of the bed is mine. Closest to the wall and furthest from the door (and intruders and kids who wake you to get them a drink).

3. I prefer laying on my right side, but I don't like facing anyone (unless I'm drop dead tired, then I don't care). So most of the time that means I have to flip and lay at Chris' feet. I know, I know...weird.

4. I must have my own blanket. Tucked and swathed around me....with only one foot sticking out. Gotta have that foot out...no socks. Never socks to bed!

What are some of your "must haves" to get comfortable in bed?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, lately I have to sleep with 2fans. One for the noise (really loud noise) and the other in my face. I wake up with my tongue dry every morning and a sore throat but I can't get to sleep any other way. I, too cannot have any socks on... I don't know why though. I always have two pillows under my head, one pillow on my left side and one pillow on my right side.
And, when I had a husband I didn't like to face him when we went to bed either, but that was because his breath stunk. haha!

Sterling Dawn said...

must sleep on right side too! but mine is from a hip injury back in 10th grade. and to sound even more like an old person, i must have like 200 blankets on me at all times because i can never get warm. and there must be a fan. and no socks, unless it's like -40 outside. and my feet like to be shoved down between my mattress and the wall.

this was all very difficult when i was taking care of those dogs. my whole system was screwed up.

Anonymous said...

Must have two fans ... ceiling and floor; start out with socks in winter, but, remove them pretty quick, right side of bed on tummy or either side; don't like to face hubby; don't mind a cat or two, but, they don't usually sleep in our bed; wear eye mask sometimes, two pillows, one on above head between my head and the headboard; sleep with one foot out sometimes.

christincherie said...

Must have a pillow top mattress, feathered pillow for my head and one for between my legs. Must sleep on right side of the bed on my left side with my feet slightly hanging off the edge of the bed. Total darkness and silence are preferred, but the baby monitor has prevented that for the past 17 months and it seems that it will for quite some time. I like it to be cool so I can bundle up, plus my pillows make me hot and sometimes Jesse wants to spoon. I also have to have chapstick and tissues by the bed in case I wake up with dry lips or a stuffy nose. Burts Bees is my preferred brand.

Anonymous said...

Used to like sleeping on the right side of the bed with my back against Jimmy and one pillow under my head and one long one that I could put between my legs and hug at the same time. And, of course, a big fan to provide lots of background noise. No socks and at least one foot out of the covers. Now, I can't get comfortable in my bed. I sleep best on the couch with my back against the back of the couch (kind of like I used to lay with my back up to Jimmy). I still like a fan, but now a ceiling fan will do. KiKi sleeps on the floor beside me and she now provides the snoring.

Anonymous said...

I also need the fan year round. I have to have the same pillow (in hotels too) I am on the left side, also away from the door but near the window (I can feel the little drafts). I cannot wear socks and I sleep on either side as long as nobody is breathing on me, which means I am a lite sleeper who instantly turns when I hear hubby flip. Must have tons of blankets (with my favorite closest) year round (room Temp is always 68). Yep, you are right we are all a little OCD.
Brenda