Tuesday, January 06, 2009

“Housework, if you do it right, will kill you.” Erma Bombeck

by teresa

Everyone is just about back to normal (or as close to normal as a Green gets) around here.
Still a throat gurggle here and a nose blow there....but I can live with that.
School went great (according to both boys) and they even felt good enough to have an outing with dad last night. Go ODU!
I was thrilled with some relaxing alone time. Yes, I'm alone during the day....but that's different alone time. From the time I drop Nick off to the time Ben walks in the door I am scrambling. Load this, wash that, organize this, fold that, run here, drop off that, find that smell and file that.
Being a SAHM is like being a homeowner. The repairs and upkeep are never ending. But seeing the fruit of your labor (with a house and kids) is worth all the sweat you put into them.
Anyway...back to the subject. "After hours" alone time. Things are on tv that I would actually watch (unlike daytime tv which is unbearable). Shawshank Redemption was on....I can not NOT watch that movie when it is on. When he escapes and crawls through the sewer and slides out arms stretched in the rain I want to squeal every time. I turned on the tv (cut it down to a whisper...just enough to here Morgan Freeman says " I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged" and then I pulled out my book. The new Nicholas sparks book...The Lucky One. I had four hours. Wow. I finished the book (it was good) and the movie (the 20th time I've seen it) and headed to bed. After showering and getting in my jammies I tucked myself in with another book (The Christmas Box) and waited for my boys to come home.
Refreshed and renewed.
It's a good life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read The Christmas Box (started it last night and finished it this morning). It was SO GOOD that I cried. Jackie N. . . Thank you so much for giving that book to us.

I've seen Shawshank Redemption many, many times but watch it everytime it comes on again. It's one of my favorite movies.

I need to borrow that book you just finished. Will you remind me about it tonight?