Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan

by teresa

Up late with Ben tonight, putting the finishing touches on his civil war slave journal.
Soaked the pages in tea and then dried them in the microwave. Smelled like burnt feet in the house for a hour or so...but achieved the old, yellowed effect he was going for. He did a great job....and wouldn't let me help. That annoys me. Our other two would gladly let you take charge of any project they had. Lazy kids with a mom trying to achieve that A in school that was always beyond her effort. Truth is...I was lazy too. Ask my mom about the civil war project "we" did together when I was in school. She was up all night painting a confederate uniform on my Star Wars action figure.
Ben is different. In his mind, no one can do it better than him (including mom and dad). The "it" being just about anything. Run, read, soccer, sing, school work, etc.
In Ben's world, the little engine wouldn't say, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can." It would scream, "I got this! I got this! I got this! Move out the way!"

3 comments:

Jackie Barham said...

That boy is going places, just you wait and see :o)

Mom said...

I'm proud of Ben. I remember my Mom helping me with projects. I think most of us end up doing school projects at some point in our lives, if not when we are in school then when our kids are. That Civil War project was the best I ever did!

Watkins said...

I spent 2 hours at Jamie's school watching her write her thoughts down on paper for her science project. She decided to display our collection of seashells and we have to classify them to make it scientific. She did not want any of my ideas. She wants to do it herself too.